Tuesday

A Simple Guide To Better Fishing

Last week was particularly challenging. And despite my perpetual state of positive thinking, I must admit I feel that my batteries are still a bit low in this new week. I feel emotionally tired, as if I've been spinning wheels without getting anywhere. It’s a bit like fishing for survival and yielding very little.

So is there any one of us who couldn’t sympathise with those poor apostles, out all night in the boat, doing their best and catching nothing, not even a minnow!

We know the experience well: we think an issue through, we do our homework, we plan carefully and act decisively, and still ... nothing. Your job doesn’t fulfil you, your new business languishes, your relationships sour, your doctor delivers bad news, your financial plans collapse, your children make impossible demands and you grow ever more weary.

Jesus intervened when the apostles hit that point of combined weariness and frustration. He said, ‘Try again, but this time go out to the deep waters.’ It seemed a stupid idea, but because they sensed that Jesus should be trusted, they did what He asked. And the catch they made was the biggest they'd ever seen.

Perhaps there’s a clue there for us. Perhaps we’ve been ‘fishing’ in the wrong places, where there are no ‘fish.’ Or perhaps we’ve been so caught up with our own interests and perceptions of things — OUR OWN AGENDA — that we haven’t seen what's right in front of us. Perhaps we need a new perspective. Perhaps we need to look at things through God’s eyes, for God sees to the heart of things.

Let God show you what He sees. Trust in Him. Offer yourself to Him. It’s the ultimate in truth. Then relax in Him. Let Him guide your hand. He will speak to you in His own silent way. And you will hear Him, if you have learned how to listen.


Lord God, make me strong in spirit. Lead me to follow You that I may discover my own hidden gifts. Help me to keep my heart free of weights and grant me wisdom so that I may see through a pure heart. And as I reach out to touch my fellow man, let my compassion be ever-full of strength and hope. In Your name we pray. Amen

.
Posted for Fr Bill

.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home