Wednesday

You're No Good!

There are so many times when I’ve asked people to help with small projects and I’ve heard the reply: ‘I'm no good at that, I couldn't do it,' or 'I don't have the ability.'

Why is our self-assessment so negative and our self-esteem so low? One of the most damaging things a parent or teacher can say to a child is: 'You are no good.' That can leave a legacy for the rest of their life. Personally, I still recall my own mother so often throwing off the comment ‘oh, you’re useless!’ I’m sure she didn’t mean it with malice, it was said more as an affectation. And I was able to see it as such. But I’m certain such a comment isn’t always received as such.

Jesus was a great encourager. He saw the potential in everyone and challenged them to realise their potential. Each of us has many gifts and abilities, but they lie buried deep within us and are never given the opportunity to develop. And the later in life we are, the more challenging it becomes to bring these talents and change in our self-esteem to the surface.
.

Compassionate God, your Son Jesus Christ took our nature upon Him and shared our common life. We thank You that He understands us both in our strength and in our weakness and ever encourages us to achieve our full potential. Amen

.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home