Friday

Packaging Can Be Important...But

From my young adulthood I have diligently pursued my spiritual life. There were events early in my life-journey that left me bereft of emotion but with a strong desire to 'know' more about God in my life, as well as my own spirituality.

And as I grew both emotionally and spiritually, there were aspects of religion I found to be fascinating and attractive; the history and music, the philosophical cut and thrust, the ecclesiastical politics and the liturgical traditions and events. But over the years I came to realise that all these things can also become a distraction - a kind of packaging: the true reality of faith is hidden deep inside.

Packaging can be important, but if there is nothing worthwhile inside it's a waste of time. More and more people I meet seem to feel disenchanted about organised religion. Surveys tell us and people often say, 'I'm not religious but I am a believer.' Now, as I've matured over these years, I can say that I better understand what they mean.

Whether it's a deep-seated human instinct or just a kind of cultural itch, people obviously feel the need to try and make sense of their existence.

There are so many questions we can ask about the universe and our life within it. Also many people who stand apart from organised religion find innocent suffering difficult to accept. Why does it happen? And apart from these questions, in the face of life's random challenges sometimes, it seems all we can do is pray.

Certainly the traditions and structures of our Church can be helpful, but there is danger that we can promote it as a substitute for reality. Faith embraces so much more. It is not confined to what happens within the physical walls of the church, what we wear, how we’re vested, or what titles we hold; it has to do with the whole of life.
.

.
Lord in Heaven, may we be diligent in our pilgrimage of faith: may we not reject the things we do not understand, but also not allow unimportant details to keep us from our understanding of Your love and compassion for all Your children and our dedication to serving You and all You love. Amen

.
.

1 Comments:

At 01:00, Blogger Steve said...

Your wrote:

>>Certainly the traditions and structures of our Church can be helpful, but there is danger that we can promote it as a substitute for reality.>>

Cardinal Newman's via media of Anglicanism is lost...

I'm not trying to be argumentative, it's a sincere question. If the Anglican church thinks of itself as an autocephalic church with Canterbury a see on par with the traditional patriarchates of the universal Catholic church (Rome, Constan, maybe even Moscow), how can "tradition" be relegated to merely "helpful"?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home