Tuesday

The Truth Shop

‘One day I could hardly believe my eyes, when walking through the town I saw the name of the store ahead of me: 'The Truth Shop.' The lady behind the counter was very polite: 'What type of truth did I wish to buy - partial or whole?' 'The whole truth, of course.' No deceptions for me - absolutely no defences and no rationalisations.

I wanted my truth plain and unadulterated. She directed me to the other side of the shop, where another assistant pointed to the price tag. 'The price is very high,' she said. 'What is it?' I asked, determined to get the whole truth, no matter what it cost. 'Your security, sir,' she answered. I came away with a heavy heart. I still needed the safety of my unquestioned beliefs.’

That's a story told by an Indian mystic, and it applies beautifully when we are reflecting on the mysteries of our spiritual journey. God's call - whether or not it's to the priesthood - comes in many guises. But it always involves risk -on his part and on ours. And that risk may mean abandoning our pre-conceived ideas, being prepared to acknowledge that we're not going to know everything.

Maybe then, as we begin this day, we should be praying not for the whole truth -that won't be revealed to us this side of Heaven. Rather we should pray for courage:

.
Lord, we thank You that we are utterly understood by You, even when we feel confused and frustrated by the ways of the world. May we glory today in the wonder of Your love for us, the wisdom of Your work for us and the power of Your purposes for us - and help us not be afraid to throw aside our security as we journey towards Your truth. Amen.

.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home